Today I’ll be trying my hand at pyrography, also known as wood burning!
My dogs are basically furry toddlers with old souls and huge hearts! So it comes to no surprise that I’m invested in their wellness and overall happiness. I can facilitate that in a more natural way with essential oils!
The first time I used essential oils for my dogs I made a spray mixture to keep bugs away when the dogs are enjoying the outdoors with us. It smelled great to me (not the bugs!) and worked well so I became curious of additional uses. I did some research, and wouldn’t you know that OF COURSE they’re good for our pets, just as they are for us!
Young Living essential oils are the ONLY oils I trust. This infographic is a great place to start, giving general guidelines when using oils for your pets.
I look forward to sharing the many ways I’ve incorporated essential oils into my pet’s lives for their wellness and happiness. Feel free to comment if you have additional tips!
The kids are back in school for the new year! We got in the spirit yesterday by watching the movie Grease! Now, another summer in the books and a new year of growing, learning and making memories for all. I’m just so dang proud of our kids as I see them becoming unique, intelligent and kind little adults. ❤
Now, we all know that back to school does not really mean back to You as this blog title suggests. Even by tonight we might find ourselves shopping for new, class specific supplies or a different pair of gym shorts. You know I’m right!
But hey, who says back to school can’t be about you a little bit? Take some time today to do something kind for yourself. Appreciate all that you do day in and day out! INDULGE in one thing or many things you adore!!
Here’s what I did for myself today:
- Woke up an hour earlier. You’re probably thinking, “Umm…not fun!” I have a good reason though, promise. First day back to school is exciting but can also be a bit hectic in the morning. Ahh…I remember how everything seemed life or death and how I always wanted the first day to be perfect. It seems like it was just yesterday…
Ha! I guess it wasn’t judging by that computer on the desk!!
Anywho, I wanted to wake up, have a nice cup of coffee and a little “me time” before the rest of the house arose. I specifically chose this mug from our honeymoon in Costa Rica b/c it instantly made me smile and think of that beautiful time. It’s the little things that make life so lovely to me. ❤
- Took a luxurious bath! Yes, I’m totally serious. Really. On a week day. On the kid’s first day of school…before they woke up. It was awesome. Young Living’s Lavender Bath & Shower gel is luscious and oh, so soothing!
- As I sipped my coffee, I diffused Young Living’s Clarity to help keep me on task for the morning ahead. I also picked up “instant Happy” by Karen Salmansohn.
This book is filled with “10 second attitude makeovers” for a brighter and more fabulous you! It’s one of my handy positivity books. I flipped open the book and the pages read:
“Every day is a new opportunity to change your life. You have the power to say ‘This is not how my story ends.’ You have the power to rewrite your destiny.”
I immediately related this to today…not the “how my story ends” part, but how EVERY day is a new opportunity to change your life. Each school year is a new opportunity for kids to reinvent themselves, make new friends, find new interests. It’s a fresh start! And heck, why do kids get all the good stuff? 😀 We adults can do the very same thing. In fact, anyone can have this opportunity any day if they choose to! It took me a loooong time to figure that out, and I often forget. Today, I chose to take care of me as well, and that’s okay! Taking care of ourselves allows us to be our best selves. I didn’t change my life in any drastic way today, but I intentionally set out on a positive note which will certainly keep me more centered and positive throughout the day. If I keep setting this intention then my life will certainly be happier because practice makes perfect! We all affect the people around us, so these positive intentions will ripple through life and relationships.
That’s some serious Monday Magic!
Even if you don’t have kids, PAMPER YO SELF! YOU DESERVE IT. You might need it if you didn’t account for all the school zones on the way to work this morning. 😉
I’d love to hear about the different ways you take care of you! Let me know in the comments below. Whatever it is, MAKE IT MAGICAL, teehee!
When I was younger, I did not appreciate DIY or homemade gifts the way I do now. The young me internally thought, “Umm…you could’ve just gotten me the gift card I asked for.” Ha! I was a little high maintenance (My husband might say I still am). crickets chirping. I blame ‘only child syndrome’. 😉 Well anyway, with age comes wisdom. With age also comes times in life when funds are tight. I am so grateful now for those times because it forced me to be creative! And yes, I do mean forced because I was a self proclaimed “un-creative.”
Now that I’ve given gifts I’ve made, I understand the thought, time and love those gifts represent. That person cared enough to create something for me that took time and effort away from other people or tasks in their life. Now don’t worry, I still LOVE gift cards and receiving gifts that I’ve asked for! 😀 In tough times (or not) though, it’s nice to give and receive a thoughtful, homemade gift to show that special someone just how much you care!
Below are my top five fantastic DIY gifts for him…
1. Favorite Song Wall Art: Maybe it’s your wedding song, a song that is a private joke between the two of you (Like Lionel Richie’s ‘Hello’ for me and Chuck) or just a song that you know he loves! Whatever it is, write out the lyrics in your own handwriting (I think handwriting as opposed to stencils is much more personal for this project) on canvas to create a great piece of wall art that reminds the recipient of that wonderful memory you shared together.
- Stretched canvas – size and color of your choice (I used 15×30 Artist’s Loft black canvas)
- Metallic Chalk Markers (I used Craft Smart)
- Song Lyrics of your choice (check online to make sure you have the correct song lyrics before you get started) Better to be safe than sorry!
Okay, so I did a little bit of a cheat with how I spaced out my lyrics. I wrote them out as they were shown on the lyrics site. I did this a while go and unfortunately can not remember the name of the site. There are a lot of websites out there to look up song lyrics though so you should be able to find one without difficulty. This saved me a lot of time trying to figuring out measurements. Numbers…Yuck!
I measured out the number of lines needed for the song and drew the FAINTEST lines possible with my pencil. I wrote the name of the song at the top in the light blue metallic marker shade. Next, I wrote the lyrics in silver. At the bottom, I wrote a special note for the recipient, i.e. My hubby. 🙂
Unfortunately, you can see a bit of the pencil lines in this well lit photo. However, you can not see them at all in our bedroom. Also, I did not seal this upon completion which is now evident in a few places where the paint has possibly gotten wet and run a bit. Boo! SO…my tip as a newbie DIYer: ALWAYS seal your artwork. 🙂
Regardless, the hubby absolutely loved this gift and it’s meaning. Beauty is in the imperfections riiiight??
2. Handwritten Card or Note: This seems like, duh right?! BUT if you’re more the funny card kinda gal then this will be a welcomed and appreciated card for your loved one. By gone are the days of a written love letter or telegram. Purchase a thoughtful card and continue the notion with your own words or use a blank card or even a handmade card! Spilling your heart out on paper may seem daunting, but my bet is the recipient will keep that card and read it again occasionally for a smile. 🙂 If not, lose him. You don’t need unsentimental people that don’t hoard Hallmark cards and look back on them occasionally for nostalgia in your life! 😉
3. DIY Massage Oil: Essential oils are not just for women. Men certainly benefit from the therapeutic uses, and there are many scents he’ll enjoy! I created this blend especially for Chuck (hubby) for it’s earthy, masculine aroma and benefits each oil brings to him.
- Dark glass bottle (I used a leftover glass, massage oil bottle from a bath and beauty store)
- Carrier oil of choice (I used Now Solutions Almond Oil)
- 30 drops Idaho Blue Spruce – Relaxing, can be emotionally balancing and a wonderful aphrodisiac (wink, wink…it works!!) 🙂
- 25 drops Cedarwood – Calming, anti-spasmodic (great for Restless Legs Syndrome) with a woodsy, pleasant scent
- 25 drops Stress Away – a blend to help wind down
- 25 drops Copaiba – Relaxing to aches and pains. Also amplifies the benefits of all other oils combined with it!
- 15 drops Cypress – Can benefit circulation, herniated discs, arthritis, etc.
- 15 drops Lavender – Overall calming and soothing
Combine carrier oil and essential oils into a dark glass container. Essential oils are heat sensitive so it’s best to keep in a dark container if possible. If not, please keep in a cool, dark place. You could also paint the outside of your bottle or wrap it in Washi Tape!
I only trust Young Living Essential Oils. Please do your research on oils before purchasing and using. Stay tuned for a post about why Young Living is how I choose to care for my family in SO MANY ways!
Not only will your beloved appreciate this homemade massage oil, but he’ll LOVE the future massages in store. 🙂
4. Frame an Old Family Photo: My husband had this ADORABLE and large baby photo. Professional matting was outrageous in my humble opinion so I did it myself…mostly.
- Matting paper
- Photo Frame
Because of the picture’s size, it was difficult to find a frame. Therefore, I purchased a frame that held two 5×7 portraits and removed the matting that came with it. I gave it a good go with the matting, but umm…NO. It was a jagged mess. Luckily, I was able to choose a matting and have the framing department cut it to my specifications for less than $10!
The result? Something that made my husband and kids smile and stimulated conversations of childhood nostalgia. My in-laws loved it as well. sky punch!
5. Picture Collage for Men:
I absolutely love capturing our lives in photographs. It’s like getting to revisit wonderful moments in time whenever you’d like! I chose a large, rustic frame with chicken wire and small laundry clips at Michael’s Craft Store for 50% off. I proceeded to print out pictures of us in wallet size along with many, many Instagram photos! It was great to look through all the years of photos and reminisce about the time we’ve shared together.
I MAY have gone a little photo crazy on this project. 🙂
I hope these five awesome, homemade gifts inspire you to create something personal for HIM! And of course, these projects can be tailored for anyone you love. That’s the great part about Doing It Yo Self!!
BEWARE: Upon opening gifts expect conversation, laughing, maybe a little crying and definitely cuddling! ❤
Remember, it’s not the size or price of the gift that matters. It’s the massive and priceless love and joy you share together that counts!
Happy Monday! I hope you enjoyed your weekend and feel refreshed!
I’m excited today to introduce the Magic Mondays series!
I titled this series Magic Mondays because honestly, Mondays are rough! I for one would like a shift in my own mindset about the dreaded Moooondaaaay. Muahahahahaha!! (I hope that came through as a scary, creepy voice)!
I will share quick and easy tips to make Mondays more magic than manic. Fun hair and make up tips along with things that make my morning and myself feel brighter!
Today…my beautiful cup of coffee, preset last night to brew upon waking, of course. This is certainly a perk (see what I did there? hehe..) to starting the week off on the right foot.
Next, the hair. In case y’all don’t know, temperatures here in the Big D have been 100 degrees the last few days. I’m a Texan girl, and I love my long, big hair! Therefore, it is necessary to be well acquainted with braids and buns. Today I put my hair in a high ponytail, braided a section of it, wrapped my hair around the ponytail and the braid around the bun. It was looking like a possible hair fail, but I just love it when messy, tousled hair debacles turn into something fabulous, or super cute at the very least! I fastened with two bobby pins and loosened the braid and bun for maximum volume! Chic, fast and perfect for second day hair. Dry shampoo will also help give volume when fixing your ‘do!
Lastly, the clothes. Comfy and expressive! I love tanks and tees that feel like they were made with me in mind! The one I’m wearing below says, “I just want to drink coffee, save animals and do yoga.” Umm…all true! Coffee and I are best buds, I work with a rescue group and have the joy of fostering doggies until they find their FURever home. I have also been a certified yoga teacher since 2010. SO perfectly expressive and comfy! 🙂
At first, I attempted to look pensive in the above photo with focus on the tank top. Let me just say that was a load of laughs for me and the hubby! Apparently, I do cheeseball pretty well though!
I’d love to hear your tips of making Mondays less stressful, or any day for that matter! Please feel free to comment below.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Toodles!
Hi everyone! Today I’m going to show you a snippet of why I love essential oils so much and how they allow me to save money virtually every day!
I am a HUGE advocate of essential oils and how they have improved the lives of my family, home and even my fur kids! More on that later in a separate post. 🙂
For now, this easy recipe can save you money on all those bottled, foaming hand soap dispensers you find yourself purchasing on a regular basis filled with chemicals and dyes. Over here, a family of six runs through them pretty fast! That’s why I’m so excited to share this easy recipe with you. 🙂
- Foaming hand soap dispenser
- Distilled Water
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castille Soap
- 100% Pure Vegetable Glycerine (I use NOW Solutions found at Whole Foods)
- Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 8-10 drops essential oils of your choosing (I only trust Young Living Essential Oils)
It’s my bet that most people have used a foaming soap dispenser before and will have one free to use. If not, you can find them online. I quickly found a 3-pack on Amazon for $10.98. I had several on hand so that part was free for me. I LOVE FREE!
Okay, I’m not going to be terribly technical here with all the amounts because a lot of these soap dispensers are shaped differently. If you are one of the Type A’s that needs exact amounts, LOOK AWAY NOW! Teehee…
- Wash your soap dispenser before using and allow to dry naturally
- Fill your soap dispenser approximately a 1/3 full of Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Add approximately two teaspoons vegetable glycerin
- Add 2-4 drops Vitamin E oil (Optional – I LOVE soft hands so I add it in) 😉
- 8-12 drops of your favorite essential oils
- Fill the dispenser with distilled water almost to the top. Leave room for foam and screwing the top back in
- Give your hands a wash with this luxurious homemade hand soap and enjoy!
The following are a few essential oil recipes I enjoy using for hand soap:
- 10 drops Thieves (when you need super, duper extra protection keeping bacteria away)
- 5 drops Lavender and 5 drops Frankincense
- 5 drops Peppermint and 3 drops Joy (Joy is a blend created by Young Living)
The Castile soap, vegetable glycerin, Vitamin E, distilled water and essential oils will last you SO much longer than purchasing a new dispenser, or even the refills on a regular basis! The savings really start to add up!
Tips: Give your soap dispenser a gentle shake before each use since oil and water will separate. If you decide to use citrus oils in your soap, please use a glass or stainless steel dispenser. Citrus will eat away at plastic causing a chemical change preventing your body from receiving the oil’s benefits.
Please be sure to do your research before picking essential oils. Stay tuned for an upcoming post with more information about why Young Living is the only brand I trust with my family, pets, friends and myself!
In the meantime, enjoy the benefits of your natural and luxurious DIY foaming hand soap!
I just LOVE the lush look of fur, don’t you? It adds so much texture and warmth to a space. However, the only real fur I plan to wear is the fur left on my pants from the four legged fur babies! Therefore, I went on the hunt for faux sheepskin fur and found it at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts.
These rugs can be placed just about anywhere, instantly making your space more interesting! I wanted several for different parts of my home. Similar rugs retail individually for approximately the total I paid in fabric to make six rugs!
Enter fabric store. I purchased five yards (which was all they had left at the time) of cream colored faux fur for around $12.99 per yard. Check http://www.joann.com for weekly discounts that are definitely worth the few seconds it takes to look them up! If there’s not a location in your area, you can order online or find a fabric store near you.
- Sheepskin hide template I created freehand from an old yoga mat
- Faux sheepskin fur (I purchased five yards)
- IKEA Stop Filt Rug Underlay *Optional
- Adhesive Velcro *Optional
Call me crazy, but I totally free handed the sheepskin hide (not every hide is perfect or identical right?) 😉 I Googled sheepskin rugs and freehanded the shape onto an old yoga mat. I then cut out the shape and used it as a template. I traced the shape onto the back of the fabric and simply cut it out with fabric scissors. Don’t worry about rough edges. Fluff the fur, and you won’t even see the edges! 🙂
If these are for decorative use only then consider this project done! Say whaaaaat?! :-O Yes, that’s it! Leave the fabric as is to be gathered a bit to your taste or tossed over a chair for an easy, relaxed look.
If you’re using these on the floor then I STRONGLY suggest an anti-slip underlay. I purchased IKEA STOPP FILT Rug Underlay with anti-slip, size 5’x7′ for $11.99. I have concrete floors downstairs and this underlay works y’all! No slipping and sliding, yay!
I cut out the underlay fabric using my oh so professional yoga mat stencil and applied peel and stick velcro to attach it to the rug. I made the pads removable for washing purposes. Also, it’s just nice to have the convenience down the road if I decide to use the faux sheepskin in a different way.
I initially made these as throws for my dining room chairs last winter. Some of them have moved around since then to serve as rugs or throws on living room seating. I do put them back in the dining room though for gatherings. 😉
Do you dream of an outdoor oasis tailored to just your specifications? Perfect for family gatherings, kid’s outdoor play, pet’s play area and still perfect for an intimate evening with the hubby? Well, me too, but this isn’t a tutorial for that! It’s a good start though! 😉
In my experience, the biggest problem I come across whether it’s indoor or outdoor is seating. There never seems to be enough for get-togethers. Now, I’m about to share a major secret with you. These chairs were not originally mine. Someone in my neighborhood left them out for trash day! :-O OMGoodness, I know. I can’t believe it either! Here I am admitting to the world that I took someone else’s trash. The horror! The shame!! 😀 I’m here to tell you the saying is true, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
Another little secret I have to reveal is http://www.nextdoor.com. If you are not using this site or app, you should be. In my humble opinion of course! 🙂 It’s basically a Facebook for your neighborhood and surrounding areas. My reason for sharing this site in this post is because neighbors often post about items for sale or free items. FREE items close to my home where often there are photos and notes about the condition? I’m in!
- Folding metal chairs with plastic arms rests found for free
- Various spray paint colors for indoor/outdoor use; also for use on plastic! I used the following:
- Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint and Primer in Sun Yellow
- Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint and Primer in Ocean Mist
- Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint and Primer in Real Orange
- Krylon ColorMaster Paint and Primer in Mambo Pink
- Krylon ColorMaster Paint and Primer in Sunrise
- Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Gloss Clear
- Possibly a sander
These are folding chairs that were in very good, used condition.
Folding chairs are great for indoor and outdoor use. I’m sure come fall I’ll store them for indoor use, but for now they are an everyday essential for the backyard pool area! I wanted the backyard to be full of color this summer. Lots of brights to emulate the energy we bring to our outdoors in the warm months. Here are the spray paints I used:
After giving the the chairs a good wash and dry, I began to spray each chair in a different color. I also had this tiny little outdoor table with iron legs, but the table top was a rustic color that wouldn’t match my bright decor. I chose to paint the top in Krylon ColorMaster Sunrise. I simply wrapped the base in an old sheet and tied it in a knot. Didn’t even use painter’s tape. 😀
I would love to say this project was easy breezy with zero problems, but I did run into a hiccup with the plastic on the Sun Yellow chair. After googling to see what the heck this was and how to fix it, I now know this as the dreaded “orange peel” that can sometimes happen for various reasons when spraying painting plastic. Unfortunately, you do need to sand off all the paint on the surface and start over. Womp-wooooomp.
Since I have a few other projects going at the moment, the yellow chair will wait before joining the others in the backyard. 🙂
For now, a cheerful seating area for three will do!
Please follow complete directions on all spray paint as instructions may vary. Paint in a well ventilated area and wear protective gear. Spray paint is seriously awesome for quick and colorful updates to just about anything don’t you think? 🙂