When I was younger, I did not appreciate DIY or homemade gifts the way I do now. The young me internally thought, “Umm…you could’ve just gotten me the gift card I asked for.” Ha! I was a little high maintenance (My husband might say I still am). crickets chirping. I blame ‘only child syndrome’. 😉 Well anyway, with age comes wisdom. With age also comes times in life when funds are tight. I am so grateful now for those times because it forced me to be creative! And yes, I do mean forced because I was a self proclaimed “un-creative.”
Now that I’ve given gifts I’ve made, I understand the thought, time and love those gifts represent. That person cared enough to create something for me that took time and effort away from other people or tasks in their life. Now don’t worry, I still LOVE gift cards and receiving gifts that I’ve asked for! 😀 In tough times (or not) though, it’s nice to give and receive a thoughtful, homemade gift to show that special someone just how much you care!
Below are my top five fantastic DIY gifts for him…
1. Favorite Song Wall Art: Maybe it’s your wedding song, a song that is a private joke between the two of you (Like Lionel Richie’s ‘Hello’ for me and Chuck) or just a song that you know he loves! Whatever it is, write out the lyrics in your own handwriting (I think handwriting as opposed to stencils is much more personal for this project) on canvas to create a great piece of wall art that reminds the recipient of that wonderful memory you shared together.
- Stretched canvas – size and color of your choice (I used 15×30 Artist’s Loft black canvas)
- Metallic Chalk Markers (I used Craft Smart)
- Song Lyrics of your choice (check online to make sure you have the correct song lyrics before you get started) Better to be safe than sorry!
Okay, so I did a little bit of a cheat with how I spaced out my lyrics. I wrote them out as they were shown on the lyrics site. I did this a while go and unfortunately can not remember the name of the site. There are a lot of websites out there to look up song lyrics though so you should be able to find one without difficulty. This saved me a lot of time trying to figuring out measurements. Numbers…Yuck!
I measured out the number of lines needed for the song and drew the FAINTEST lines possible with my pencil. I wrote the name of the song at the top in the light blue metallic marker shade. Next, I wrote the lyrics in silver. At the bottom, I wrote a special note for the recipient, i.e. My hubby. 🙂
Unfortunately, you can see a bit of the pencil lines in this well lit photo. However, you can not see them at all in our bedroom. Also, I did not seal this upon completion which is now evident in a few places where the paint has possibly gotten wet and run a bit. Boo! SO…my tip as a newbie DIYer: ALWAYS seal your artwork. 🙂
Regardless, the hubby absolutely loved this gift and it’s meaning. Beauty is in the imperfections riiiight??
2. Handwritten Card or Note: This seems like, duh right?! BUT if you’re more the funny card kinda gal then this will be a welcomed and appreciated card for your loved one. By gone are the days of a written love letter or telegram. Purchase a thoughtful card and continue the notion with your own words or use a blank card or even a handmade card! Spilling your heart out on paper may seem daunting, but my bet is the recipient will keep that card and read it again occasionally for a smile. 🙂 If not, lose him. You don’t need unsentimental people that don’t hoard Hallmark cards and look back on them occasionally for nostalgia in your life! 😉
3. DIY Massage Oil: Essential oils are not just for women. Men certainly benefit from the therapeutic uses, and there are many scents he’ll enjoy! I created this blend especially for Chuck (hubby) for it’s earthy, masculine aroma and benefits each oil brings to him.
- Dark glass bottle (I used a leftover glass, massage oil bottle from a bath and beauty store)
- Carrier oil of choice (I used Now Solutions Almond Oil)
- 30 drops Idaho Blue Spruce – Relaxing, can be emotionally balancing and a wonderful aphrodisiac (wink, wink…it works!!) 🙂
- 25 drops Cedarwood – Calming, anti-spasmodic (great for Restless Legs Syndrome) with a woodsy, pleasant scent
- 25 drops Stress Away – a blend to help wind down
- 25 drops Copaiba – Relaxing to aches and pains. Also amplifies the benefits of all other oils combined with it!
- 15 drops Cypress – Can benefit circulation, herniated discs, arthritis, etc.
- 15 drops Lavender – Overall calming and soothing
Combine carrier oil and essential oils into a dark glass container. Essential oils are heat sensitive so it’s best to keep in a dark container if possible. If not, please keep in a cool, dark place. You could also paint the outside of your bottle or wrap it in Washi Tape!
I only trust Young Living Essential Oils. Please do your research on oils before purchasing and using. Stay tuned for a post about why Young Living is how I choose to care for my family in SO MANY ways!
Not only will your beloved appreciate this homemade massage oil, but he’ll LOVE the future massages in store. 🙂
4. Frame an Old Family Photo: My husband had this ADORABLE and large baby photo. Professional matting was outrageous in my humble opinion so I did it myself…mostly.
- Matting paper
- Photo Frame
Because of the picture’s size, it was difficult to find a frame. Therefore, I purchased a frame that held two 5×7 portraits and removed the matting that came with it. I gave it a good go with the matting, but umm…NO. It was a jagged mess. Luckily, I was able to choose a matting and have the framing department cut it to my specifications for less than $10!
The result? Something that made my husband and kids smile and stimulated conversations of childhood nostalgia. My in-laws loved it as well. sky punch!
5. Picture Collage for Men:
I absolutely love capturing our lives in photographs. It’s like getting to revisit wonderful moments in time whenever you’d like! I chose a large, rustic frame with chicken wire and small laundry clips at Michael’s Craft Store for 50% off. I proceeded to print out pictures of us in wallet size along with many, many Instagram photos! It was great to look through all the years of photos and reminisce about the time we’ve shared together.
I MAY have gone a little photo crazy on this project. 🙂
I hope these five awesome, homemade gifts inspire you to create something personal for HIM! And of course, these projects can be tailored for anyone you love. That’s the great part about Doing It Yo Self!!
BEWARE: Upon opening gifts expect conversation, laughing, maybe a little crying and definitely cuddling! ❤
Remember, it’s not the size or price of the gift that matters. It’s the massive and priceless love and joy you share together that counts!