Even the most vigilant person can occasionally comes across back strain. Young, old, sedentary, athletic…doesn’t matter. Sometimes your back is just going to tell you when enough is enough! Below are the Top 5 items or tips I use to soothe my back without medication.
1. EPSOM SALT & BAKING SODA BATH SOAK: Relieve aches and pains by raising the magnesium levels in your body naturally! My personal recipe is to use 1 cup epsom salt, 1 cup baking soda (it increases absorption of minerals & helps neutralize chemicals like chlorine) and 6-8 drops of my favorite Young Living essential oils. Why not reap the benefits of essential oils while soaking up relief? Here’s a bonus recipe for you!
2. BALANCE BALL CHAIR: They may look and feel funny at first, but these chairs can improve posture and work your core muscles! That’s a whole lot better than weakening your core muscles by constantly sitting isn’t it? I use Gaiam Custom Fit Adjustable Balance Ball Chair. And because I like things pretty, I also purchased a Gaiam Balance Ball Chair Cover to match the room decor!
3. SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE a.k.a. a FOAM ROLLER: Foam rollers are a fantastic alternative to a deep tissue massage when you’re short on time or funds. It will also assist to smooth out trigger points (knots) in your muscles and increase circulation/blood flow to the soft tissue areas. See the one I use here.
4. TENS UNIT: If you don’t know what a TENS Unit is and suffer from pain, your life is about to change! Honestly, this is one of my favorite ways to alleviate pain and discomfort. The unit provides electric stimulation to targeted areas for pain relief. I use the Omron Electrotherapy Max Power Relief and WiTouch Wireless TENS on the regular!
5. SULFURZYME: Sulfurzyme powder is a mix of wolfberry and MSM, an organic dietary sulfur that helps protect cells and connective tissue. All I’m going to say is THIS STUFF WORKS for me! Sulfurzyme is a product of Young Living. If you’re interested in essential oils, please visit the Essential Oils section here on A Plot Twist Life!
- LEGS UP THE WALL POSE (VIPARITA KARANI): This inversion is a deeply nourishing and restorative yoga pose for mind and body. Place a bolster or roll up a blanket and rest it under your bottom to elevate the pelvis, then slide your legs up the wall, lay back and rest in place for 5-15 minutes.
I hope these items and tips help you as much as they’ve helped me! Please keep in mind that I am speaking from personal experience and this should in no way be used to diagnose, treat or cure abnormal conditions of the body.
Did any of your favorite Top 5 make the list? Let me know in the comments below!